4/01/2013

Eternal Student by DD Wright

Eternal Student
I received a text this Thursday night. 
I read it and reread it this can't be right. 
I read it a third time.
Was my sugar low? 
Was I losing my sight?
Marley gone? No can't be. 
Profiler shot him employed by NYPD? The young soldier? Old soul? 
Next Langston Hughes? 
Dream deferred? Civil Rights reborn? Inspiration behind the community singing the blues? Again? 
I should not be here saying this poem. Marley you should not be there while we sing these songs. 
I started to write a poem verbally degrading NYPD 
and about the tears and pain that some have bought to other communities.
I started to assault the paper as so many of us have been treated historically.  
I started to but decided to not add to the the insanity and profanity. 
I decided to write about the beauty of Marley. 
Oh I remember the sparkle in your eyes. 
Every morning your chocolate face and gorgeous smile. 
So today I remember not the officer and his bullet causing your demise. 
I remember a student whose spirit will never  unrise. 
I remember a child who's writing touched souls. 
I remember an unforgettable memory to whomever he beholds.
Loved ones heartbroken never thought this would be your destiny but God makes no mistakes.
Perhaps he took you young to increase the steaks, 
make folk march, 
stand up for injustice, 
provoke the world to salute you, 
not just us. 
You, Marley, you had to bring about change. 
You, the son of the people, had to go home early so that we could scream your name.
I am Marley G, you are us too! 
We pray for your family and the you alive today. 
I pray that I never have to say goodbye to another student this way. You are loved and will be missed yet your story will not be deceased. Marley London Graham, rest in peace.


http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000590749/Poetry-2Life.aspx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Powerful and timely! This sheds light onto the ongoing violence with the NYPD