6/02/2010

Write Off Weds.

Every Weds. there will be a poem posted by a historically queer or out writer.
Audre Lorde (1934-1992) Lorde was an activist , feminist, and poet who fought against racism, sexism, and homophobia believing that they all stemmed from the same inability to tolerate difference. She published 9 volumes of poetry and 5 works of prose. From Inside an Empty Purse Money cannot buy you what you want standing flatfooted and lying like a grounded chestnut unlovable and suspect I am trying to reach you on whatever levels you flow from treacherous growing water in a blind tongueless pond. I am the thread of your woman’s cloth the sexy prison that protects you deep and unspoken flesh around your freedom I am your enemy’s face. The money doesn’t matter so much as the lie telling you don’t know why in a dream I am trying to reach you before you fall in to me. Write a poem from the perspective of an object that you use everyday. For example, from the inside of your book bag or from the inside of a metro card. Describe what the object is used for and what it might be like to actually see life as that object. If you get stuck try using the phrase “I am” like in the poem…”I am the thread of your woman’s cloth” Send us your poems or post questions/comments on the fb page or respond to the note

No comments: